Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sufferin' Til Suffrage

Much was made of Hillary Clinton's speech last night at the Democratic National Convention: "Will she be sincere? Will she fully support Obama? Can she motivate her supporters to get behind Barack?" All day long ad nauseum that's all you heard from any of the media outlets. Well, good ol' Hillary hit it out of the ballpark with her speech last night. As you know, I've been an Obama supporter for a long time now, but I have to say I don't think I've ever been more proud of my Senator from New York than last night. And as for any Hillary supporter thinking of voting for McCain over Obama, could she have put it more plainly than "No way, no how, NO McCAIN!" Amen sister.

Also, it was no accident that Hillary's speech coincided with the 88th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment which gave women the right to vote. I couldn't help but sing this song all day yesterday as well. I credit School House Rock for teaching me and a generation of kids in the '70s about the plight of Women's Suffrage. Watch it again and really listen to the lyrics. As an adult I'm struck once again by how clever they are. Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger LSL said...

Aw, MAN, I love Schoolhouse Rock! I actually bought a DVD with all the shorts on them while I lived in Japan. My great plan was to show the kids there and they would fall in love with the vids and learn as much as I did. Of course, they didn't give a poop. All the better - I still have the DVD :)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Why won't they bring these videos back??! THey're so great. Now it's all My Pretty Pony, Hannah Montana, not to mention all the Disney Princess crap which has only seemed to have gotten bigger in the past 20 years. I could do with a vaguely asexual looking cartoon chick in a superhero outfit singing about women's rights... At least in between the other stuff.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger wondermachine said...

WOW! I forgot about that track!! Who was the singer on that? Most of the Schoolhouse Rock tracks are either Bob Dorough or Blossom Dearie but this woman grooves! I also like how the little name shout out seems proto-riotgrrl.

How cynical that McCain thinks he can just name a woman and tap into the real thing. Crazyness.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Don't let the Alaska Governor stel this! Ha!

HILLARY ROCKS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home