Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green


How will I ever save the planet if I KEEP FORGETTING TO BRING MY FREAKIN' EARTH-FRIENDLY REUSABLE GROCERY BAG TO THE STORE??? UGGHhhhhhhhhhh!

UPDATE 7/24/08: Okay, so today I FINALLY remembered to bring my green eco-bag to the Westside Market. The checker began to bag my groceries in a combination of both paper AND plastic (good heavens!) when I stopped her and said proudly "No, no--I have my own bag."

"Oh, no problem," she responded and switched the groceries to my reusable bag. Then she piped in with "I'm gonna give you some information on some specials we're having this month."

"Okay, thanks"
"All kinda organics and green products. Ya know..."
"Great, thanks."
"Some really good buys."
"Okay, I appreciate it."

So even though nothing I bought today was organic, my earth-friendly reusable grocery bag has me pegged by super-market checkers as an organic-eating, crunchy granola, tree-hugger. And I don't even wear patchouli!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger LSL said...

I second that emotion!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Gavin said...

It'll be okay, Kermie!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I know! When we belonged to the Coop, I was very good about remembering my bags (since you felt like a leper if you had to use their plastic bags). Now that I go to the regular grocery store and have them delivered, I never seem to remember. MUST REMEMBER!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Matt said...

But I like patchouli ... ;)

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Michael said...

You can't help it, Matt--you live in Seattle. ;-)

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Curtis said...

I have two of them that I keep in the car. (Yes, economy car) One day, I handed the clerk my bags and some asshole behind me said, "well, if HE brings his own shopping bag, then I want everything of MINE double bagged!" And then gave me the most hateful look.

I felt like throwing my granola at him and beating him with my Birkenstock.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger judy said...

You go, Curtis! Do not be deterred by morons. My supermarkets out here in the provinces of New Jersey deduct 5 cents for every reusable bag I pack my groceries into. It's a nice little incentive for the good guys.

As a little reminder to yourself, try hanging your resuable bags on the doorknob of a closet near your exit door. I found that helps me remember to bring them. Go green!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

That's my problem, too... I can never remember to take the bag. for me shopping happens in the course of life... "Oh, there's a produce stand I'll get berries", "oh there's Gristedes, maybe I'll get some milk" etc... Good news is that all my plastic bags get re-used when i take them to work for re-use... But I still feel guilty...

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger evilganome said...

I found reusable bags that fold up to pocket size, so I remember them more often than not.

As added encouragement, my Trader Joe's enters you in a raffle for 25 bucks of free groceries every time you check out with your own bags. Not that I'll ever win, but it's a nice thought on their part.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger libhom said...

Remember, wearing too much clothing is bad for the planet too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home