Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Shakespeare on a Train

Long time readers know all about my quest for graduate school and my MFA in acting. Earlier this year I decided to attend a program in Washington, DC which focuses on classical acting in particular. Last month I went down to DC once again, this time to see the student productions and to find an apartment.

One of the shows the students were doing was Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale. It's one of the canon that I was not that familiar with so I decided to pick up a paperback version for $5.50 to read on the train on the way down. Even though it's considered one of the comedies, there are some very moving scenes in the play. As I came to one of those sections I was moved to tears. I actually cried. Real tears. Reading Shakespeare. On the train.

I stopped reading for a moment and that's when my tears turned into those of joy with the realization that yes, indeed, I've made the right decision. If I can be moved to tears reading Shakespeare on a train, then I must be headed in the right direction. This must be my passion.

The productions were beautifully acted and I look forward learning what those students have learned. And I found an apartment--what will be my new home for the next year. My last day of work was August 1, and since then I have been busy packing up my life and my apartment here in New York in preparation for this new adventure. I move to DC on August 17, so until then the posts will be light as they have been all Summer. Be patient. And thanks for reading.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Bigezbear said...

God speed, Mike. I'm so happy for you and expect regular updates once you get started. Until then I shall "exit, followed by a bear."

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Yes, indeed on the right path! Congratulations again. So excited for you, and looking forward to visiting you down there.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Gavin said...

You're gonna do great!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Sweet! I never quite "got" Shakespeare, but if it's what blows your hair back, then good for you for going for it. And DC is a great city. Break a leg!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger LSL said...

Yay! Just catching up on my favorites and I'm so happy for you. It feels great to make a decision and then to have moments of confirmation. Good for you! Good luck with the transition, and keep us posted as you can. :)

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I'm beginning a program to get an MFA in Acting as well. May we both survive and succeed!

http://angelaacts.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home