Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I See (Important) Dead People

Well, it's day two in Washington for me. My first day on my own (Scott left yesterday to go back to New York). My new apartment gets bathed in the morning light as it faces east. I was up 7:30 to finish unpacking and to discover more of the Logan/Dupont Circle neighborhood that I am lucky enough to call home for the next year. On my way out the door this morning I experienced Washington DC high security first hand. I was stopped by a motorcade of dozens of policemen and a fleet of limousines, bringing traffic to a standstill in all directions and causing detours. I wondered what all the fuss was about. I noticed a limo with those little flags on either side of the hood coming down the street. I remember President Ford used to ride in one of those--does the president still use that kind of limo? More likely a gas-guzzling SUV with this president. But just in case it was the president I thought about nonchalantly scratching my nose with my middle finger as it passed then thought better of it--what with all the police about. I was afraid the title of my next post would read: Manhattan Chowder Arrested for Rude Gesture.

But wasn't the president at all. Following the long line of limos was a hurse. All this for a dead person. I couldn't remember hearing of anyone in the news dying important enough to warrant all this. So, I did a google search and the best I could come up with was this: Funeral held for Bud Doggett, influential business leader. Influential indeed. But I never heard of him. Exactly two hours later I watched from my window the same motorcade traveling in the opposite direction. By time I started counting there were 50 motorcycle police. FIFTY. Sheesh. It made me wonder who was minding the city. Talk about the perfect time to rob a bank.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Flaming Curmudgeon said...

The word is "hearse" -- you're back in school now, no slacking.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If here were no sirens accompanying the motorcade, then you're dealing with the President. Sirens aren't used to identify his travel route, if there were it was probably an agency secretary. And get used to it, "I was stuck behind a motorcade" and "Metro had delays" are commonly given when you're late for work, dinner, date or other appointment.

Welcome to town tho.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Woops, pardon my spelling. I don't have internet access yet and am trying to adhere to my half hour time limit in my new building's "business center". No time for spell check I guess. ;-)

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger judy said...

Yes, I fear this will be a common sight. We're trying to break our addiction to foreign oil, you know. What with this administration's addiction to security overkill I don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years when we get all that off-shore oil up and running....yeah, that should help. Did you say 50 motorcycles? Well, that's only about 48 more than necessary...that's pretty efficient. Meanwhile, back in good old New York City, Mayor Bloomberg is proposing mounting windmills on the bridges and skyscrapers. You may find a skyline full of pinwheels when you return.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Yay! First DC post! Can't wait for more, misepellings and all.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger LSL said...

Sounds like they were robbing the bank using all those resources! Mr. Bud didn't care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home