Thursday, June 05, 2008

The RFK Bridge

It was decided today that the Triborough Bridge will be renamed for Robert F. Kennedy to coincide with the 40th anniversary of his assassination. RFK was running for president and a New York senator at the time.

The question remains whether anyone will actually call it the RFK Bridge, however. The West Side Highway was renamed in honor of Joe DiMaggio after his death a few years ago, but I have never, ever heard anyone call it that. There is but one sign that I can think of that actually bears the new name. If you ask me, it's the people who do the traffic reports who hold the power here. If they start calling it by the new name, so will everyone else.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger TCho said...

i didn't know that about the W. Side Highway. they sure don't publicize its proper name well.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger judy said...

I for one will call the RFK Bridge by its proper name, but I'm not sure how long it will take before I can stop adding, "you know, the Triboro.." I loved Robert Kennedy, and it is ironic that Obama should be receiving the nod from the DNC on the 40th anniversary of his death. I don't think I've felt as enthused about a candidate since Bobby as I do this year. The fact that Barack will make his acceptance speech at the convention on the anniversary of MLK's "I Have a Dream" is just too much. I'll have to watch it holding a large towel in my lap. I still love you, Bobby, and now we have hope once again...at long last.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home