Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Idol Chat 2008: The Finale


At last it's down to the final two! In an attempt I guess to freshen things up with the show, producers imposed a stupid boxing analogy onto the competition. I found it tiresome and really not appropriate. You can't judge singers that way. Anyway, that said, even before I get into the critical analysis of the performances, the night had a clear winner: David Archuletta. But unfortunately, I had late social plans last night and didn't get to watch the show until around 11 PM. By then I was too tired to write my critiques and this morning is just too busy at work to get away with writing a blog post, so it will have to wait till later today. Sorry. Stay tuned
UPDATE: Okay, now on to the critiques.
David Archuletta: "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" A perfect choice for David. His vocals, as usual, were spot on and for the first time I felt he really owned the stage. His confidence level seemed better than ever and he gave one of the most exciting performances of the competition. Excellent.
"In this Moment" The song was a little syrupy, but because David sings from such a pure, honest place he can get away with it. He was smart to choose a song that sat right in the meat of his voice and had a soaring vocal line. Very good.
"Imagine" The first time I heard he was going to sing this song I thought "Oh, no--it's a beautiful song with a beautiful sentiment, but it's not a showstopper" Plus there are the inevitable John Lennon comparisons. But, like the first time, he completely ran with this song. The vocals were beautiful, and again, the sentiment is one that clearly resonates with him. He was able to give in his vocals what the song lacks which is an almost plaintive cry of desperation to find this perfect world he is singing about. This was gorgeous and clearly David A was in it to win it this week.
David Cook: "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" Excellent song choice for David, but I can't help feeling that the raspy quality to his voice isn't a bit put-on. There is a disingenuousness about him. He managed to pump up his physical performance a bit by taking the stage, but still it didn't blow me away, although it was good.
"Dream Big" An unfortunate song choice. David had to fight to hold my attention with this one. Not a great song and a so-so performance.
"The World I Know" By this point in the competition, David seemed completely defeated. This song choice didn't help to get him out of it. I didn't get it. I didn't know the song and didn't really care to. A lackluster performance.
Prediction: David Archuletta will be the new American Idol
UPDATE: Total upset! David Cook wins. I'm not sure how really based on those performances last night. But then, these things are decided many weeks in advance. Apparently David Archuletta started coming in second to David Cook somewhere around mid season. I think maybe Archuletta's baby face and what some saw as false modesty may have grated on people's nerves (I've heard many people say that.) And that is the only reason I can think of why David Cook would have beat out David Archuletta. Go figure.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well I waited until the finals to tune in - although I have been reading your critiques all along. I agree David A should be the next Idol - but who knows what the public will decide. David Cook has major pitch problems - the last note of your last song really should be on pitch.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger judy said...

As usual, I agreed with everything you said. Absolutely, David A took the night! I haven't been able to watch that many of the Idol nights this season, but during those I caught, David C has usually left me wondering what was missing, and I found myself doing the same thing again last night. Apparently, however, the voting public digs him, and so young David A will have to continue on in the tradition of the runner-up having the stronger career. And there you go.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger LSL said...

I totally agree! What an upset. I didn't watch the show, but I saw it online after and couldn't believe it. David A is by far the better singer.

Thanks for your commentary this season. It's fun to read about when I miss the shows (and even when I don't.) :)

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger TCho said...

I thought it was a tossup. David A certainly had the momentum after Tuesday with all the judge's praises, but I wasn't sure if he could top David C. I just felt myself looking forward to all of David C's performance, because I could expect something new. But with David A, it was just another sappy, inspirational ballad. I will say though, that he sang the hell out of Don't Let The Sun Shine.

I really liked David C's performance of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

For Wednesday, I thought Syesha made a nice comeback and her duet with Seal was great.

And previously, David C's performance of Always Be My Baby was my favorite performance. But I think now it might be David A's performance of Apologize. It was refreshing to hear him song that doesn't make me think of christian rock.

Can't wait till next season!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I didn't really care for either of these finalists. David A, while having a supreme voice, is a bore. He presents nothing that I have not seen before, particularly on american idol. DC does at least present something different, albeit in a contrived american idol way. But, at least he is like no other winner in the past. He has shown the ability to sing a wide a range of genres. Whereas, DA seems to always trot out the same old style, but sung brilliantly. Despite the fact that the judges always say this is a singing competition. It really is much more. One needs to present some sort of niche other than just the ability to croon. Frankly, DA came up short in the unique department and I feel that is why he lost. I am not saying it is right, but I think that is what happened in this case.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I've never seen this show. If I did, I would surely become addicted!

Anyway.... I hope you had a good holiday weekend!

Cheers.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger ZenDenizen said...

I don't really follow the show but after seeing the finale, I wish I had been reading your re-caps all along!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home