Monday, May 12, 2008

Rainy Monday Random Thoughts

Another drab rainy day here in New York (Friday was miserable, too). With little to inspire me on a day like this you're left to endure my random, unrelated thoughts as I sit here with my morning coffee.

Dunkin Donuts Coffee Rules: Scott and I remarked on the recent glut of Dunkin Donuts franchises popping up all over the city (giving Starbuck's and the new CapitalOne bank a run for their money). We noticed yesterday that there is a Dunkin' Donuts on the northbound side of Broadway between 96 and 97 Streets and another one on the southbound side between 95 and 96 Streets, because one shouldn't have to walk too far for a donut. I, for one, am doing my best to keep the new franchises in business at the expense of my waistline.

Idol Overload: Read an article in Entertainment Weekly about the somewhat less than exciting American Idol season this year. The show has become formulaic and predictable. We know what the judges will say before they ever open their mouths, and with sites like "vote for the worst" and "dial idol" even the public has figured out how to manipulate the voting. On top of that, the buzz this morning is that David Archuletta is suffering the effects of an overindulgent stage-father. Mr. Archuletta has been banned from the AI rehearsals and studios with the exception of the live tapings. Poor little David. But then again, maybe it will work in his favor with the voting public.

Mothers Day 2008: My sister and I hosted our traditional Mother's Day brunch/lunch down in Asbury Park. The menu included: Mixed berry yogurt with granola, a selection of cheeses and salumi, vegetable frittata, roasted asparagus wrapped with prosciutto, lamb kabobs with chick pea and cous cous salad and lemon poppy seed cake with fresh berries for desert. Someone once accused our family of being "food obsessed". Yup. We're Italian. Deal. Mom was delighted.

Schadenfreude: I admit I take secret delight in the demise of Republican politicians like Vito Fosella of Staten Island who was recently arrested for drunk driving, revealed to have a mistress in Virginia and a secret love child--what Saturday Night Live referred to the other night as "the trifecta". Not so much when it's a Democrat. Kudos to Fosella's wife, though, for not standing by his side through the embarrassing press conferences.

Superhero: Went to see the new blockbuster hit, Iron Man, on opening weekend at the Ziegfeld here in New York. All the nerds were lined up outside the theatre ahead of time. They applauded after the new Indiana Jones trailer and exclaimed with shock and delight at the surprise scene after the final credits of Iron Man. Gotta love comic book geeks. By the way, I'm as shocked as anyone that I LOVED this movie. (I'm not usually the Superhero movei type.) I highly recommend it.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger TCho said...

I had such a HUGE craving for a donut this morning. But I wanted a Doughnut Plant donut, which are sold at Citarella near my apt and at the Oren's coffee place in grand central. But they were sold out at both places! Boo.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Gavin said...

I swear I could live on donuts.

I saw an interview with David A's vocal coach on CBS This Morning. He said that Daddio is only "banned" from the practice sessions where they work out the song's arrangement. Dad has a musical background and his presence and input gives David an unfair advantage.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger LSL said...

Love your random thoughts, and love the "trifecta." :)

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger LSL said...

I should also say that I think I remember photos of the Mother's Day brunch in a prior year . . . ? The spread sounds amazing, and very special for a mom.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Maddog said...

Your weekend was much more exciting than mine. I only wish that I had a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood. Actually I'd like a _______________. You can fill in the blank cause I'm sure we don't have it.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger libhom said...

I agree about kudos for Fossella's wife. I always thought it was creepy how politicians' wives were expected to appear at press conferences at the most painful and humiliating of times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home