Sunday, June 01, 2008

And...we're back!

Well, I'm back. Which is kind of a play on words because the source of most of my misery this week has been my back. My achin' back to be more precise. Is there anything worse? And don't say childbirth. Tooth pain is pretty bad, too. Dry sockets following four wisdom tooth extractions--not pretty. Been there. Thank you all to those who left such lovely get-well wishes. Anywho...because there's so much to catch up on I guess I this is going to be one of those random thoughts posts. Let's see, where to begin?

Friday brought another crane collapse here in Manhattan. Perhaps this will mean a much needed slowdown to the building boom that is seemingly out of control in this city. It has me and many other New Yorkers walking alternate routes just to avoid construction sites these days. On top of that the grave atmosphere has put a damper on things at work since I work in the construction industry. You didn't know that, did you? Yup, it's true. Pretty butch, right? Impressed? Well--don't be. It's not actual construction work.

Just to dash any butch images you might have of me, I was among the first of my friends to see the Sex and the City movie! I just popped some pain killers and propped myself up at the Chelsea Clearview Cinemas to enjoy the show. Yes--if you can, you must see it in the gayest movie theatre in town. I enjoyed it and was never a regular viewer of the show.

Random non sequitur: Do you remember the name of the construction worker in the Village People? I do. David Hodo. He was my favorite. (Pictured left)

I would be remiss not to mention the passing of two show business greats: Harvey Korman and Sydney Pollack. Korman is best known for his brilliant comedic work on the Carol Burnett Show. Not only did he create hilarious characters like Max to Burnett's Nora Desmond, Ed, opposite Burnett's iconic Eunice in the Family skits and perhaps my favorite, Mother Marcus, a drag character based on Korman's real-life Yiddish grandmother.

Sydney Pollack was of course a much accomplished actor and an Academy Award winning director. Gay audiences will always remember him as Will Truman's philandering, but understanding, totally-cool-with-his-son's-homosexuality father on Will and Grace--the super PC Dad so many gay men probably wished they had.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Glad you're up and around, Michael.

I didn't know you worked in the construction industry. Now I have to know what you do for your day job!!!!!!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger judy said...

Thank goodness! I was so tired of seeing that American Idol logo every time I checked in. Glad you're feeling better. I saw Sex and the City on Friday and really enjoyed it......glad you did, too. We'll talk.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Dave said...

R.I.P. Harvey Korman... He and the other Burnett regulars kept me company on many a Saturday night when I was growing up. I used to love watching him unsuccessfully trying to stifle an outburst of laughter, usually brought on by Tim Conway. But I haven't seen any of his obits mention another legendary character he created: The Flintstones' Great Gazoo.

And Pollack had another queer connection (sort of): He was Dustin Hoffman's long-suffering agent in Tootsie.

Glad you're feeling better, Michael!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Yay -- glad to have you back! I was a real fan of Sex and the City, so I must see it! I want to go for two basic reasons: I want to see the parade of wedding gowns, and the real estate!!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger LSL said...

Not much is worse than back pain. Hope you continue to feel better and better! And now you have us all wondering about your job! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home