Tuesday, March 11, 2008

St. Dina, the Martyr


One can hardly expect a political sex scandal to unfold these days without the press weighing in with Dina McGreevey, patron saint of wronged political wives. While I was very upset to learn of Elliot Spitzer's involvement with a prostitution ring, nothing can cheapen a political scandal like words of wisdom imparted by Mrs. McGreevey. Here are her profound thoughts on the plight of Spitzer's wife, Silda Spitzer:
I looked at her face and I thought, ‘Oh, my gosh, that was me just three years ago.’ I could see the pain in her eyes and I know what she’s feeling and empathize with her.
"Oh my gosh" indeed! I guess Dina McGreevey can rest assured that as long as politicians lead lewd double lives, she will have a calling. Of course any chance to hawk her lame book "Silent Partner" can't hurt either.

I actually attended part of her "reading" and book signing at Barnes & Noble when her book was released. (Yes, I admit it. I had to get a glimpse of her in person. Besides the Barnes & Noble is right around the corner from my house. I mean, seriously, not even a block--closer than the grocery store. I just stumbled in there on the way to buy coffee or something--I swear!) The readings at this Barnes & Noble happen to attract an over-educated, intellectual older crowd reflecting the neighborhood's Jewish roots. Anyway, I think Dina McGreevey's character can best be summed up by the three old biddies I overheard discussing her "reading" after the fact. Here's what they had to say:

(Read the following with over-educated, heavy New York accent. Think Ed Koch.)

Old Biddy 1: It makes you wonder how the two of them ever got together. (referring to ex-governor Jim McGreevey)
Old Biddy 2: Yeah--you get the impression she was just arm-candy or something.
Old Biddy 3: Yes. And she made several grammatical errors.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I heard she had comments and I fast-forwarded right through them on the DVR.... I'd rather skip em... Ya know?

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I love it! Just think, that will be you in 40 odd years, tsking about someone's grammar! ;-)

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger wondermachine said...

I'd been meaning to leave a comment to this post to tell you how much I loved it. I read it to a few friends over the phone.
Just spot on and the three biddy conversation just priceless.
This is a great blog you have here Chowdah!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger cb said...

Well Dina- not exactly. Because Spitzer was banging 1000 dollar female whores in the ass, and YOUR husband was riding the baloney pony... and for free!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home