Sunday, November 11, 2007

City Snapshot: Times Square Recruiting Station


For Veterans Day here's a city snapshot of the US Armed Forces Recruiting Station in Times Square. Such a station has existed on this spot since the end of World War II. Situated at the crossroads of the world, the Times Square Station has out recruited every other station in the country over the years and has also served as a target for many anti-war protests. The current station was redesigned in 1998 to include flashy neon siding to match the then "new" Times Square. Happy Veterans Day to all our veterans.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they would have had more luck recruiting back before Times Square was all cleaned up, there were far more disadvantaged people to lure in through education and a exciting new career.

At least that's how they spin it in Canada.

My grandfather died in the war leaving my grandmother to raise three children. I grew up in the Royal Canadian Legion (where are the war veterans would hang out. Fr some reason I can't bare to watch or listen to Remembrance Day stuff.

Not because it makes me sad, perhaps it's because I had so much of it in my life to begin with.

Anyway, every time I stop by I think to myself that I must come back to New York, it's been five years since I've visited the place I used to call my second home.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger StePHen said...

happy v-day! I love the picture! very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home