Thursday, October 18, 2007

In Memoriam: Deborah Kerr

It is with sadness that I report the death of one of my favorite actresses: Deborah Kerr. An actress trained in the classic English tradition, Kerr's technique adapted well to her many co-stars from Cary Grant to Yul Brynner and was always exciting to watch. Deborah Kerr is one of the few actresses whose considerable range we are fortunate enough to have captured on film forever. She easily and convincingly went from roles as nuns and school marms to that of seductresses and adulteresses. She was nominated for an Oscar 6 times, most notably for her roles in From Here to Eternity, The King and I and Tea and Sympathy, a role she originated on Broadway for which she won a Tony nomination.

It was in The King and I at the age of 10 that I first learned who Deborah Kerr was. I was cast in my very first real-live community theatre production of that show. I was quickly bitten by the theatre bug and pursued recordings and anything I could having to do with the show. To this day the "Shall We Dance" polka scene in The King and I remains one of my all time favorite screen moments ever. Another one of my favorite screen moments is the beach scene in From Here to Eternity which I've embedded below. Watch and enjoy.

Deborah Kerr died from complications of Parkinson's Disease. She was 86.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I absolutely adore Deborah Kerr. I think I'll be watching some of her movies over the next few days.

Beautiful tribute, Michael.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

I find it so sad now as one by one these wonderful early actors and actresses leave us. At least we will have them on film forever.

Steven.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

I liked her a lot.a wonderful actress.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger judy said...

Indeed, a sad farewell to one of the most beautiful and classiest actresses ever to grace the silver screen. For me there will always only be one "Mrs. Anna"...."one, two, three, and one, two, three, and.."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home