Monday, September 24, 2007

AOL Gets Bronx Jeer from Manhattan Chowder

This from AOL's morning news headlines: "Iran's President Gets Bronx Cheer." They are referring of course to the chilly reception and protests Mahmoud Ahmadinejad got here in New York over the weekend. But what they mean is "jeer". It's Bronx jeer.

Jeer as in: to speak or cry out with derision and mockery.

Not Cheer as in: a shout of applause or encouragement.

"Cheer" doesn't seem to make sense along side photos of protesters holding signs that say "Go to Hell!" now, does it? What kind of a cheer is that? Duh.

Stay in school, kids.

UPDATE: After doing some research online, it seems that "jeer" and "cheer" are used interchangeably. While the expression is supposed to be ironic, I thought the irony was derived from the fact that the "jeer" was actually a flatulent sound rather than a verbal remark, while others (Dave) believe the irony is that it's actually the opposite of a cheer. Sometimes I'm too highfalutin' for my own good.

When I brought up the "cheer/jeer" issue to my friend Peter and explained my point of view he said "Only a fag would know that." Touche.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger Gavin said...

When you stick your tongue out, wrap your lips around it, and blow to make that sound, that's what I always learned was a "Bronx Cheer".

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I always thought it was "cheer," and that it was intended in an ironic sense.

(And, yes, I also thought it referred specifically to that tongue-sticking-out thing - what Archie Bunker used to call a "raspberry.")

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I think that is what most of us (who have not lived in or around NY) think it is. Cheer.

I stand (er, sit) corrected.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger LSL said...

:)

Nice label, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home