Saturday, June 02, 2007

Too Much Information


When Google Earth first launched I was a little shocked at the stunning clarity of the images and details of landmarks, buildings and businesses that could so effortlessly be accessed by anyone with a computer and a cable modem. Recently I've read on a couple of other blogs that I'm not alone in my concern that this information can easily be seen by just about anyone.

So, it was only a matter of time before we read something like this:
Four men have been charged with conspiring to blow up jet fuel supply tanks and pipelines at John F. Kennedy International Airport...Officials said the "defendants obtained satellite photographs of JFK airport and its facilities from the Internet and traveled frequently among the United States, Guyana and Trinidad to discuss their plans and solicit the financial and technical assistance of others."
Well who didn't see that one coming?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

I know....this is getting scary. Big Brother (aka Google) is everywhere. Check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/01/technology/01private.html?ex=1338350400&en=06dd9c79a3c9bd22&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

cue "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

Not Google related, but terrorism and Internet related: I read a story in the past few days that the architectural firm who is designing the new, secret, terror-proof U.S. embassy in Iraq uploaded the blueprints onto the Internet. What is wrong with people?

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michael. I hear you've been coming to my site and having trouble getting it to load.

Would you be able to email me with what platform and browser you are using, as I have no issues and I need to hear from others in order to tell the web guy what has been going on.

Thanks, and yes the google stuff pretty much does the work we don't want to have happen. Now you can spy from you living room.

Soon we'll be able to look up addresses and see what's going on inside.

Now wouldn't that be scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home