Friday, May 25, 2007

Romney Grows Some


In an interview with the Associated Press yesterday regarding a portion of his campaign tactics he calls "Ask Mitt Anything," Romney had this to day about his stance on gays.

"I don't think that a person who's running for a secular position as I am should talk about or engage in discussions of what they in their personal faith or their personal beliefs is immoral or not immoral." Separation of church and state? What a concept!

"What you look for in a leader is someone who will welcome and treat with respect people who made different choices and have different beliefs in their lives and have differences. I have nothing but respect and feelings of tolerance for people with differences from myself and feel that way with regards to those who are gay...I oppose discrimination against gay people," Romney said. "I am not anti-gay. I know there are some Republicans, or some people in the country who are looking for someone who is anti-gay and that's not me."

I have to say I'm impressed. He then went on to say that the reason he spent the last year of his governorship in Massachusetts trying to overturn the court's decision on gay marriage was because it wasn't in the best interest of children. Well, of course! Won't someone PLEASE think of the children! In any event, these remarks all but seal Romney's fate of never getting the Republican nomination in a million years.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Wow. If I knew nothing else about Mitt Romney except what's in this blog entry, I'd be pretty impressed. Even so, that's an astonishingly liberal position for a batshit-crazy Mormon.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

I have friends that live in Park City UT and I've spent quite a bit of time there visiting. The government and Mormon church there are essentially the same. Saying he supports the separation of church and state belies his roots and the modus operandi of the LDS.

Where was he when the Utah Mormons were send millions of dollars and signature collectors to California to pass Prop 22 that defined marriage between a man and a woman. They, and the Catholic Church, weren't shy about proclaiming their involvemnet.

I don't believe him for a minute. Polling data must show that he needs to move to the center and stake out a position in opposition to the LDS so the public doesn't think he beholden to them...and do something crazy like make the Seagull the official bird of the U.S.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Red Seven said...

I'm not too impressed. To follow one's declaration of being decidedly not anti-gay and pro-diversity with "but I don't believe in gay marriage because of (the fact that perverts should not be having anal sex in front of) the children" is to negate any positive statement that came before it. He's a hater.

I want Giuliani to get the nomination, only because Dobson swears he WON'T VOTE if that happens, and he'll probably urge his entire "flock" to stay home as well. All well and good, says I.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger judy said...

Do those children include Mary Cheney's children? It's enough to make you sick! I'm just delighted that, to date, there is not one Republican out there with a chance at winning the Presidency. That having been said, we're still 17 months away from an election. Keep your fingers crossed and keep prayin', kids.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger evilganome said...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mitt is the asshat that has tried his best to get same sex marriage repealed here in the fair Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Having had to put up with that carpet bagger as a governor I have nothing good to say about him. He is an opportunistic slimeball, who will say anything to get elected. There was a reason he did not announce his candidacy here in Mass. he was pretty universally hated by the time he left office.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I understand those who are skeptical of Romney's remarks in this age of flip-flop politics. This post is in no way an endorsement of the man. But what possible motivation would he have to say something like this? He's clearly not trying to appeal to the Republican base here--I think his efforts to repeal gay marriage had more to do with that. This statement could lose him the nomination. Why would he would say it?

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger judy said...

I think he is trying to appeal to the more moderate Republicans who will be voting in the California, New York, and New Jersey primaries, i.e., in competition with Giuliani. I think he's trying to sell himself as someone who might appeal to the cross-over or independent voter. He probably knows that his record and possibly his Mormon affiliation has already alienated him from the lunatic fringe Republican base and is looking for broader appeal. I believe he is the Republican most Democrats fear...if indeed they fear any of this bunch.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Ah....the winds of change will blow many, many times before any of us enter a voting booth.

I'll just be glad once "the wooden-headed boy" leaves the White House come January 2009!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home