Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Best Laid Plans

So there's a bit of personal catching up to do here on this blog o' mine. First, just as I had gotten over the rejection and humiliation of not getting into an MFA Acting program, the only school that did not reject me outright and put me on their waiting list has come through. I got my acceptance package last Friday. So that throws a serious monkey wrench into my Plan B. While it's nice to get a fat envelope with a letter that begins "Congratulations" rather than a pathetically limp single page note that says "We regret to inform you," I don't think I want to go there. After I applied and did some further investigation I decided it was too similar to my undergraduate program. The more I think about it the better fit for me is probably a program with a university affiliated professional theatre residency. But maybe I'll see what this school comes up with money-wise before I make a decision.

And second, I'll have time to mull over my decision next week ON MY TRIP TO ITALY! Yes, the trip has been planned for some time. Scott and I will be gone from June 5 to the 17. In honor of my parents' 45th anniversary they have rented a villa in Tuscany near my father's ancestral village (pictured below) for the month of June. They've invited all us kids over when our schedules permit. This will be Scott's first trip to Italy, so we'll use the house in Tuscany as a home base and travel around to all the famous sites. We're going to try and get a couple days in both Rome and Venice and spend the rest of the time exploring Florence and the Tuscan country side. I'm preparing to blog while I'm there, but I'm not sure what kind of wireless connections will be available. I hope to keep you posted with all our adventures and lots of pictures!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

I'm envious. Have a great trip!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

My parents are cruising on the Mediterranean right now, so I'm double jealous.

Post lots of pictures, and good luck with the career planning and such. =)

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Red Seven said...

Congrats on the program, and do give it some serious consideration. I believe that, while the venue, quality of instruction, etc., certainly has some bearing -- the best indicator of educational value is how much the student WANTS to get out of it. And ... when you're done, you'll have your MFA (woo hoo!).

Have fun in Italy.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Bigezbear said...

[Whine] Aw, man, some guys have all the luck and fun.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Awwww....have a great Italian vacation! Think about us poor America-bound people while you're having fun in Italy.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger LSL said...

Wow, I am so excited about your trip! One of my favorite cities in the world in Lucca, a tiny walled city in Tuscany. I hope you have a great time, and I hope you get lots of time to think over what you want to do. It sounds wonderful! Can't wait for the blog updates.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Michael, Congrats on your acceptance even though it may not seem like what you want right now, keep a positive 'tude...you never know.

Double congrats on your trip to Italy!! Sounds like a blast! Hope you have wonderful time!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Lynn--Lucca is where my family is from! The photo here here is the village of Coreglia just outside of Lucca. We'll definitely be spending some time there!

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Lots of good news here! Congratulations on the acceptance letter, even if you won't go. We all need an ego boost in some way. (Umm, see my blog the past few months ... )

As far as the Italy trip, I won't even comment except that although I am tall, I am willing to fold into your carry-on for convenient storage as long as you slip me something to eat now and then on the flight. 'Nuf said.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger kevin said...

Have a great time in Italy. It sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun.

I cant wait to see the pics.
Kev in NZ

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

Wow the trip is almost here! enjoy it...and let your mind get away a bit. Forget your troubles, c'mon get happy...

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger DEREK said...

Have fun, I loved Italy. Loving your blog too!

http://deveil.wordpress.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home