Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Dazzling World of Mac

Brunch in SoHo, sounds enticing, right? I thought so, too. Scott convinced me that there was a restaurant, a one, Great Jones Cafe, worthy of taking 2 trains more than 100 blocks on a 30 degree day just for the andouille sausage, eggs and New Orleans style grits. A recent Mac convert and since we were in the neighborhood and all, Scott first suggested that we pop into the Soho Mac store.

The visit was strategically timed on the heels of my hard drive woes as I teeter on the great divide between Mac and PC. Now if Mac is hip, then Mac in SoHo is hip to tragic proportions. And I'll admit--the store is impressive. A grand staircase of Lucite stairs (I snapped the photo myself) seems to transport one to a futuristic white plastic world where everyone wears black t-shirts. At the top of the stairs is a giant screen with theatre style seating, a kind of church where one can witness conversions from old PC users to new Mac die hards. There are rows of ipods, sound docks and laptops, one more shiny than the next. Oh, how they gleam! And then you look at the price tags.

I don't care how sleek and trendy they are, the Mac laptops cost upwards of $500 more than PCs with essentially the same capabilities. And if you want a black laptop as opposed to what I guess is considered the less desirable white, you'll pay $300 more for one that has the exact same guts. So, sorry Mac, but I'm going to need a little more convincing, I'm not buying your brand of crazy today.

After our little shopping trip, my blood sugar was so low I gobbled up my New Orleans style brunch in record time. It was de-lish and admittedly, worth the trip.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

I love Macs.....though I won't switch until my primary "computer-aided drafting" software (Architectural Desktop 2007) releases a version for the Mac.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger TCho said...

i completely agree. i think Macs are so overrated.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Great Jones Cafe has decent, albeit too small a portion of gumbo. Thumbs up from his former-Louisiana boy.

Acme Restaurant, on the same block has the most disgusting Louisiana cuisine. Eck!

P/S: Love your blog. Am adding you to my Bookmarks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home