Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Question of Hillary

Hillary Clinton is my senator. I think she's great. She's on the right side of so many issues I believe in and she has the intimate knowledge of a Washington insider and the political savvy to get things done. But ever since her carefully orchestrated move to New York, I, like so many other New Yorkers, knew there would come a day when she would abandon us for her presidential aspirations. On the one hand this kind of planning and foresight is commendable and an excellent quality in a president. On the other, I feel a bit used.

Like her husband Bill, everything she does is thought out, planned and timed for the most impact and political gain. In the days leading up to her announcement that she would be tossing her hat into the presidential ring, she has appeared on all three major networks and has even scheduled video sessions on "the internets" in which she answers questions carefully chosen to highlight her already known views. She has become a virtual queen of all media. She even made an appearance at Ground Zero yesterday and has invited some of the first responders now suffering from respiratory ailments as a result of their exposure to the wreckage of the World Trade Center as her guests at this year's State of the Union address. But has the public become wise to this "slick willy" style of campaigning? And is it even relevant in today's political climate?

Since the Clintons left office the first time there has been speculation about Hillary's possible run for president. But the question of her electibility comes up again and again. I can't help but think that her high poll numbers are based solely on name recognition at this point. And the people who would most like to see her as the Democratic nominee in 2008--are the Republicans. Why? Because they know what a polarizing figure she is and they would love nothing more than to see all the liberal votes go her way and all the moderate votes go toward the Republican nominee, thus splitting the Democratic vote and defeating us in yet another election.

There is no question that she has the brains, talent and experience to be president, but can she win in Kansas?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

My theory is.....if the country was crazy enough to give us "Bush 41" and "Bush 43", then we should be smart enough for "Clinton 42" and "Clinton 44". :)

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

That's a very good question, Michael. I'm optimistic that Hillary will polarize people in our favor. As far as the NY shenanigans - that's what all politicians do (Heck, businesspeople do it, etc). I don't believe I ever saw where she was misleading with her future intentions, though :)

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciated your comments about this. I'm a Hillary fan. I've been watching her nightly video casts and, my god, I'm in love. I think she's so smart and so well-spoken. But I think she's going to be fighting an uphill battle to get to the White House, and I think you articulate why that's the case very well. Cross your fingers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home