Tuesday, January 16, 2007

America the Beautiful

At last night's Golden Globe Awards, ABC's new series Ugly Betty took home the honor of best television series, comedy or musical. The show airs on Thursday night opposite NBC's new comedy line-up (which I love) and Survivor on CBS. Scott is a Survivor fan (don't get it) so he had been DVRing that and we both like the NBC line-up (Earl, The Office, 30 Rock--Scrubs is in there somewhere, too, but it's not about that for me so much) and since you can't have more than two channels going at the same time with this DVR thing, we couldn't watch Ugly Betty. Luckily ABC's Family Channel has been airing all the Bettys we missed. We taped them all, have been catching up and are LOVING them.

America Ferrera shines as Betty and in what is reported to be the surprise of the evening last night, took home the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a comedy series. Her speech was one of those rare, truly sincere moments that make enduring an entire awards show worthwhile. I tried to find a video clip of it but couldn't. Having been a relative unknown before this role, a clearly moved and emotional America Ferrera delivered this acceptance speech:
"It's such a beautiful message about beauty that lies deeper than what we see. And it's such an honor to play a role that I hear from young girls on a daily basis about how this show makes them feel lovable, and they have more to offer the world than they thought."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Yes, America's acceptance speech was one of the highlights of the evening. While I don't watch it, I hear great things about the show.

I, too, am a diehard NBC Thursday night watcher. I think 30 Rock has to be my favorite.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get Survivor either. I just think it's dumb. I always have.

I love Ugly Betty too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home