Saturday, January 13, 2007

In My Day...

I have long been a fan of Dunkin Donuts' coffee--way before Starbucks was a twinkle in the eye of any Seattle hipster. What I like about Dunkin' Donuts is that it's just really good basic American coffee. You can order it the old fashioned way--with no foreign words, just like their current ad campaign claims. Now, I know from my days working behind the counter at a local Howard Johnson's (my first paying job in high school) that if someone orders a "regular" coffee, it does not refer to size or caffeination, it means with cream and sugar. Dunkin' Donuts is one of the few places left in the world where you can go in and order a medium regular coffee and they know exactly what you're talking about--usually.

Now perhaps it was a cultural difference or inexperience due to age, but the other day when I went into Dunkin' Donuts, cranky and in need of coffee (a dangerous combination), and ordered my medium regular coffee, the young Pakistani boy behind the counter had to ask me "do you mean black." I said "No, I mean REGULAR! With cream and sugar." He replied "Oh, cuz sometimes people mean black." To which I replied "If I meant black, I would say black. "

And then I said it. Those three little words that have doomed me to officially join the ranks of grumpy old men everywhere: "In my day, a regular coffee meant with cream and sugar!"

The other kid behind the counter snickered at me. I guess I deserved that.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

LOL....I loved this post Michael! It seems I began uttering that dreaded phrase far earlier than my peers simply for the fact that I taught kids right out of High School.

They saw the world through different eyes. I'm shocked that I have students younger than my eldest niece.

BTW, I've added you to my blogroll.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. Regular means with cream and sugar? I would have assumed it meant black, which is the way I like mine. :)

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my friend tried to get Dunkin Donuts coffee throughout his firm. lol.

oh, btw, Balduccis is having a sale on all their 1 lb coffee bean bags. 2 bags for $10.

I personally like Brazilian coffee the best. :-D

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger judy said...

At least you didn't mutter, "Little snot-nosed bastard!" under your breath as you walked away from the snickering youth. Hopefully, that's not in your future. Loved this post.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

It is funny how coffee has become so complicated! IN MY DAY - it was a plug in percolator (or however it's spelled). Man that was the best! Between all the gurgling noises, the steam, and the aroma - nothing beat coffee in the morning at my house. Even if it did come out of a can; and probably was Maxwell House or something LOL.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my "regular" meant cafe au lait with Sweet'n'Low and an order or two of beignets.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit. I meant to say "In my day...Fix it, will you, Mike?

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club... we've been saving you a seat. Hair-in-the-ear picking will begin promptly at 7...

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I COUNT on my regular medium coffee from Dunkin's and want to scream when I drive away and find there's no sugar! It's the little things in life!! Great "slice of life" post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home