Thursday, January 04, 2007

Stonewall


You might remember in my post entitled The Old Neighborhood my lamenting the closing of the famous Stonewall Bar, home of the 1969 Stonewall riots which were the catalyst for the modern gay rights movement. In those days the bar was called the Stonewall Inn. A couple of weeks ago while walking down Christopher Street I noticed that the For Rent signs in the old bar's windows had been changed to "Closed for Renovations" signs. Hmmm, I thought, could this mean the Stonewall is re-opening?

Well, it was reported this week that in fact the Stonewall Bar located at 53 Christopher Street, IS being reopened by the owners of the Duplex just a few doors down. After extensive renovations the new Stonewall is expected to be for open business by mid-February. Also, I am glad to report after doing some research that I discovered the Stonewall Inn was added to the National Register of Historic Places by the US National Park Service in 1999.

See you at happy hour in February!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home