Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Apology--at Last

Finally, Isaiah Washington has issued a formal apology for his continued insensitivity in the "F*gg*tGate" controversy. I, for one, think it sounds like a sincere and well worded apology. But he should still be fired. Sorry. Anyway, here's his statement:

"I apologize to T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community for using a word that is unacceptable in any context or circumstance. By repeating the word Monday night, I marred what should have been a perfect night for everyone who works on "Grey's Anatomy." I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help.

I know the power of words, especially those that demean. I realize that by using one filled with disrespect, I have hurt more than T.R. and my colleagues. With one word, I've hurt everyone who has struggled for the respect so many of us take for granted. I welcome the chance to meet with leaders of the gay and lesbian community to apologize in person and to talk about what I can do to heal the wounds I've opened. T.R.'s courage throughout this entire episode speaks to his tremendous character. I hold his talent, and T.R. as a person, in high esteem. I know a mere apology will not end this, and I intend to let my future actions prove my sincerity."

Update: On second thought, maybe I'm not so convinced of Washington's sincerity. I came across blogger Len's post in which he compares the"Greatest Hits Apologies" of the last year. The similar tone and language used in all of them really does make them sound ridiculous.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

The queen is not amused. Off with his head!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

It's about f**king time!!!!!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Gavin said...

He says he can't explain why he's doing these things — grab Dempsey's throat and the Golden Globes mike, bold face lie on Access Hollywood, etc. His lack of self-control is really kinda scary. For all our sakes, including his, lets hope that we've witnessed the actual train wreck and not a pre-cursor to something worse to come.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger kevin said...

Hi Michael
I am not aware of the controversy going on with Grey's anatomy but i wholeheartedly agree with Donnie's comments!

Kev in NZ

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger BigAssBelle said...

nope, the apology's not working when it just echoes the form letters provided the publicists at the last annual "how to get your client out of trouble" seminar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home