Thursday, September 24, 2009

Status Update

After many requests (okay, mostly from my mother), I'm making an honest effort to get back to blogging. Blogging filled a creative void for me when I was unemployed and helped me stay sane through the grind of a survival job. So here I am again, unemployed--but with a Master's!

This is me on my graduation day with my proud parents. They gave us medals! (The school, not my parents.)

One of the reasons I didn't get back to blogging sooner is that in the year or so since I stopped, I joined Facebook. Yes. I finally gave in. Peer pressure from the kids at school--for real. After all, I didn't want to miss out on all the newsy updates from my exciting new friends like "Tom is eating yogurt" (not his real name) and "Amy is going to the gym" (also not her real name). I might miss something!

As a result, I can now only think in short, third-person, declarative sentences about the minutiae of my life. I'm constantly thinking things like "Michael is appalled at the price of Heirloom Tomatoes" and "Michael thinks the A train should stop at 96 St." It would make for very short blog posts. Luckily, I don't actually publish these things as my Facebook status either--though many people do. You know who you are--not that there's anything wrong with that. By the way, this is one of the reasons I will never, ever, join Twitter. Unless it was to write something like this. (NSFW: language)

So, my dear, vast readership, I will attempt to update you on my status with an entire paragraph in the first-person:

I graduated from The Shakespeare Theatre Company's Academy for Classical Acting at the George Washington University (try fitting that on a resume) in late July. It was one of the best years of my life. I worked really hard and loved every minute. I made wonderful friends and learned more than I ever thought possible. I highly recommend it (especially to you who ended up here by google searching MFA programs). I spent August in DC working on my final "not-a-thesis" paper which is due on Dec. 1. I'm in good shape with that--I've fought the Facebook sentence structure as much as possible. I moved back to NYC the first week in September and am living with Scott in his studio apartment. It's cozy. But that situation may change soon. I'll keep you posted. Right now I'm adjusting to life back in the city and trying to remember what it was like to be an actor here. I went on my first audition the other day. It went well, but it was a long shot. If anything happens, you'll know. Right now I feel a little like Rhoda Morganstern at the end of her opening credits: "New York, this is your last chance!" Cue hat-throwing.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Alison Franck said...

Rhoda dropped her hat.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger judy said...

Judith quite agrees with you. She loves checking up on everyone on Facebook, but the 3rd person thing is REALLY annoying. It's kind of like trying to remember to "phrase your answer in the form of a question"....why?? So glad you're back.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Jen said...

This is wonderful Michael!. I am reading blogs of friends to see if it's something I might want to try on. I'll check out your others.
Welcome back and Congratulations!
ps. I always say the Rhoda line when I pull back into the city. I've been saying it for 18 years....(wink)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post Michael! Break a leg! So glad we were able to get down to DC to see your plays - we are still raving about them! Can't wait to see you perform again real soon!! :)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger LSL said...

Welcome back and big congrats on your accomplishment. I can't believe it's been a year! You have a lot to be proud of. It's wonderful to be caught up.

And I love the picture. It would have been just as cute but kinda sad if the medal had come from your parents :)

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home