Friday, April 11, 2008

Broadway Baby

I'm about a week late in reporting this, but Broadway star Cheyenne Jackson, currently appearing in Xanadu, gave an interview to Advodate magazine which appeared in last week's issue in which he discusses being openly gay and how he balances that with the demands of being an actor and celebrity. He says he assumed certain career risks when he came out publicly in a matter-of-fact way to a New York Times reporter shortly after the opening of All Shook Up, in which he played the Elvis character. The article adderesses the concerns of many gay actors who fear being pidgeon holed by their sexuality. Here's one of my favorite quotes:

“I’m in uncharted territory because based on what I look like, I get cast as the guy who gets the girl. But I have a sense that the tide is changing, and I have no problem being the trailblazer. I don’t know how or when it’s going to manifest itself, but I think being my authentic self is going to have its rewards.”


He also tells a sweet story of a gay teenage fan who requested a picture of Cheyenne to hold while he came out to his family. The photo gave the boy courage. Did I have to choose a photograph of Cheyenne with no pants on to show what a great gay role model he is? No. But hey, I'm a guy

I had the pleasure of meeting Cheyenne after a performance of Thoroughly Modern Millie in which he played a small role and covered the lead. He happens to be an old personal friend of my friend Laura who made the introduction. He was gracious, warm and down to earth. Just a regular guy with a good head on his shoulders.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Flaming Curmudgeon said...

"...good head..." [snicker]

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I like your choice of photos! He sounds like a great guy.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thant photo isn't from the Advocate interview it's from a BRitish MAgazine ReFRESH from a year ago

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Michael said...

yes, i know that photo isn't from the Advocate, but i liked it better than the one they used.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Maddog said...

So can you introduce him to me. I'm sure he wants to be my boyfriend. He just doesn't know it yet.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Matt said...

I've heard good things about him - nice to hear some firsthand, too.

I can't believe, however, that you would stoop so low as to post a picture like that on your blog, just to increase your traffic. You are absolutely shameless. I've come back here ten or twelve times already to see if you've removed it. I'm so disappointed in you.

;)

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

He works out at my gym. You should see those washboard abs... This boy is in seriously good shape... And he's like 6'4 or something... And a nice fellow, too...

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger YNAGER '65 said...

I fell in lust with him a few years back. I saw him in Chicago doing the lead in the "All Shook Up" show. He is definitely talented and hot!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Whew! What a hottie.....and as a bonus, he seems to be a great guy. Some guys have all the luck!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Gareth said...

Does he dress like that in the show?
So glad I've got my ticket if he's the eyecandy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home