Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bill Clinton Should Just Shut Up

Okay, before anyone gets upset over this headline let me first say that I loved Bill Clinton as president. He presided over eight years of peace and prosperity. He is one of the great political minds of our time. His impeachment was unwarranted and the investigation into the Lewinsky affair was a witch-hunt and, yes, a vast right-wing conspiracy. Hillary was right.

BUT...

His role in her campaign has shattered an illusion and leaves me with a lack of respect for the man. He has been disrespectful, undignified and dare I say, unpresidential. He runs the risk of ruining his already shaky legacy and diminishing Hillary's presidential hopes. I firmly believe that his inflammatory remarks in South Carolina caused Hillary to lose so many races on Super-Tuesday and were the deciding factor in my becoming an Obama supporter.

I have tried to keep from Hillary-bashing on here (apart from a little good-natured fun over some cheesy YouTube videos) and I'm not about to start now. But I think Bill-bashing is fair game with some of the things he's been saying. Now, I said nothing about his implied racist Jesse Jackson remarks, I didn't comment on his implication that Obama doesn't love his country and I let slide his arrogant defense of DOMA the other day, but for some reason this remark really got my goat:
"If a politician doesn't wanna get beat up, he shouldn't run for office...I don't give a riff about all this name-calling that's going on...I've heard them say all these things about [Hillary]. Apparently it's okay to say bad things about a girl."
WHAT??? Damn right it is! We should give Hillary a pass because she's a girl??? Excuse me, but is this 1895? Doesn't Hillary profess to be a feminist? Isn't she always talking about breaking the highest glass ceiling in the country? Now, if he was referring to sexist remarks he should have clarified that, but I'm not sure he's talking about that here. And didn't he just say that if a politician doesn't want to get beat up he, and he did say "he", shouldn't run for office?? And isn't a comment like this inherently condescending and sexist which ultimately diminishes his wife?

Hey, Bill. Shut up. You're not helping.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger YNAGER '65 said...

heeheehee well said!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger judy said...

It's just all really sad. I've lost all respect for the Clintons...and like you, I went into this thinking we (Democrats) were suffering "an embarrassment of riches." It's now just turning into an embarrassment. I can't believe the Democratic high-rollers threatening Speaker Nancy Pelosi for calling for a democratically elected candidate. How about nutty Carville referring to Bill Richardson as a "Judas".
And Bill just seems to get crazier by the day. Please let this end soon.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger ZenDenizen said...

I, too, was a big fan in the 90s. Now? Not so much.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Joey P said...

His convention speech from four years ago was killer.

I wonder what he'll say this year at the convention, and whether more people will be tuning OUT these words because of his behavior during this election? I think it's likely.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Maddog said...

He does seem to be putting his foot in his mouth a lot doesn't he.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home