Monday, June 11, 2007

Italy Day Three

On day three, we woke up above the clouds. This was the view from our window as we opened the shutters that morning. The next photo is of the mist just over the garden wall.

After this spectacular show we headed to Florence to take in some of the major sights. It was particularly fun to do this with Scott who had never seen Florence before. We managed to park right on the river which provided us with a view of the Ponte Vecchio as we walked along the Arno into town–a perfect introduction to the city. From there we went to the Duomo featuring Brunelleschi’s legendary dome. I insisted Scott climb to the top of it since the view from there is unmatched anywhere in Florence. Even though I’m deathly afraid of heights, I optimistically volunteered to go along with him. I chickened out half way up, however, and the first opportunity I had to head back down I took, my heart rate accelerating all the way accompanied by a cold sweat. What we do for love. From there we went to Santa Croce to see the tombs of anyone who is anybody from Italian culture from the Renaissance through the present day including Galileo, Michelangelo and Rossini.

After that we went to the Accademia which houses Michelangelo’s masterpiece, David. It is truly one of the great inspirational pieces of art in the world. The affect is just as stunning no matter how many times you see it. I remember literally gasping as I rounded the corner the first time I saw it and this time I got chills as I beheld it under the skylight from the end of the gallery. My father on the other hand thought David could use a cleaning. I don’t know. He didn’t look dirty to me. Well–no more than usual anyway.

We followed our trip to the Accademia with a walk through the Piazza Signoria where the original David stood (a copy is there now) as well as the famous fountain of Neptune and statues of Hercules and the Rape of the Sabine Women. It was here I annoyed Scott by singing selections from The Light in the Piazza. We strolled past the Palazzo Vechio and through the Ufizzi courtyard. We were all so tired at this point we practically crawled back to the car. We stopped for one more view of Florence from the Piazzalle Michelangelo which sits in the hills above the city. Again, a perfect "arrividerci" to this beautiful city.

Below are pictures of David, the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo and Palazzo Vecchio in Piazza Signoria.



Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

After all these many years, David still looks like the epitome of masculinity.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger BigAssBelle said...

absolutely gorgeous. maybe one day, this little green oklahoma girl will get to italy.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger LSL said...

Don't you love the "Prisoners" (I can't remember if I have the name right) - the statues in the hall leading up to the David?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home