Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Storm Watch '07


The local weathermen are working themselves into a frenzy over the "big nor'easter" we're supposed to be getting. They're saying things like "Snow, sleet, freezing rain--it's a doozy!" Snowfalls are expected to total six inches. SIX INCHES! Big whoop--tell that to Oswego.

Still, it's nice to settle in for the night with some hot tea and brace for the storm--such as it is. It was conditioned in me since childhood that this particular kind of snowfall, one that starts late at night and is supposed to continue through dawn, is the best kind. It means the roads won't be clear before school starts and will most likely result in a snow day. A snow day!

With tomorrow being Valentine's Day, I thank my lucky stars that I'm no longer in the flower business. Getting all the flower deliveries out for an ordinary Valentine's Day is hellish enough, let alone trying to do it in the slush and ice of a winter storm. My condolences to all the florists out there. Better you than me.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Having grown up in Chicago (well, in suburbia), I have to admit that I miss this kind of weather. Kinda. A snow day is one thing ... the first floor of your house being under snow is another ...

I do kinda miss it still ... honestly ...

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger kevin said...

Michael
Have a great Valentines Day over there in New York.

I hope the snow isnt too bad. I would so desperately like to see the snow. We hardly ever get snow.

Kev in NZ

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Bigezbear said...

Sorry, Michael, but NOBODY does weather like New Orleans weathercasters. They positively cream on camera at the slightest hint of any oncoming act of God; and they've only gotten worse since Katrina.

Yesterday, we got hit with tornadoes. One of our local weather women actually made a point of saying on the air that if "that elderly woman" (an 85-year-old lady who was struggling to rebuild her home but instead was killed when her FEMA trailer was demolished by the winds) had only listened to her, "she would be alive this morning." No doubt watching this gal on local TV.

She then said, "Pardon me, but I get so verklempt," and cried on cue!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

We're expecting 18-30" here upstate. About 6" so far at 8:40. Sounds just about right. ;)

I lived in southern California for 20 years. The weathercasters cream on camera if it might rain and go into full STORM WATCH mode. Funny thing is, there are probably more car accidents there in the rain than here in the snow.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OK, I heve to weigh in here. I'm from Buffalo and when I grew up we just listened to whatever joke the weatherperson made about the 12 inches of snow, sighed, and went to schoool/ work/ etc... our only hope of a snow day was when the piles were too big to see over...... ditto when I was in college in Montreal. Now I live in NJ and a few inches brings me all of this collective excitement and a day to work quietly at home. Happy Valentine's Day everyone! (PS Great blog!)

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger ArichNY said...

Hi Michael, New to your blog today after reading your comment on Y-O-Ys today. I'll keep checking in. I have a son and daughter-in-law in NYC, love visiting and reading about life there, hip, not so hip and wannabe. Stay warm!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

Happy Valentine's Day

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

I had an uncle who was a florist...Valentine's Day and Mother's Day were his busiest 2 holidays. I remember, though, that my Mom (his younger sister) used to always have lovely centerpieces for the dining table.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home