Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ready or not....


I ran out of coffee last Sunday so I ventured out to the grocery late that night to stock up for the morning. As I rounded the corner of 84th Street I found myself in the pallid glow of a string of bare light bulbs and overcome by the unmistakable aroma of evergreens. Though we had barely finished the Thanksgiving leftovers I soon realized that I had stumbled upon the first Christmas tree vendor of the season. Oh, goody.

Even though I was caught off guard it wasn't a completely unwelcome sight. I'll admit it even put a spring to my step as I entered the grocery to buy my coffee. Over the PA they were piping in Christmas music. "Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays"--Perry Como I think. I whistled a descant along to Perry's mellow tones and the chorus of 40s-sounding back-up singers. I smiled goofily at other customers, bought my coffee and went on my merry way.

Monday brought the lighting of the Lincoln Center Christmas tree hosted by New York's favorite, handsome homo-weatherman, Sam Champion. He wore a snug fitting turtleneck and flashed his professionally whitened smile as he lit the tree. Ta da! But honestly, Sam, don't you find it a bit difficult to get excited about all the festivities when it's been an unseasonable 70 degrees all week? What's up with that, anyway???

Despite the warm temperatures each passing day this week brought yet another sign of the season. The tv has been a constant barrage of holiday commercials, tree vendors are sprouting up like weeds on all the usual corners and in the subway Salvation Army Santas have begun making their presence known with their usual incessant clanging of bells. For the first time in recent memory the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree was lit--in NOVEMBER! And did you know that "A Charlie Brown Christmas" has already aired this year? GOOD GRIEF!!!

I have no lists made, my family hasn't even chosen Secret Santas and I have yet to place a single order with Amazon.com. Can we all just slow down a bit, please? At this rate I'll be having my annual Christmas melt-down a full week ahead of schedule.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you enjoy this season. Under perfect conditions, I could probably tolerate it; but Bob has been decorating since the day after Thanksgiving, and he's only skimmed the perimeter of that metaphorical lake. Several times a day, I have to stop what I'm doing (well, it isn't important, anyway, is it?) to stand at the foot of one ladder or another to break his fall should that happen. I'm finding myself looking harder and harder for distractions that might take me a step or two away.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I've always looked at holidays as for the kids. Seems many get into the spirit of it all - to which I say, "more power to them." As for me, I wish I could find a sleeping potion to carry me through till the day after New Years :) .

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cook a lot, but for some reason, if there's anything that I consistently cannot make well, it's coffee. I must have the wrong kind of maker or use the wrong grind or something...

oh and today at Duane Reade, the cashier was talking my ear off about how she wanted the weatherman on her local news to get fired. She was like, "We [yes, US, personally] pay him to tell us the weather.] Lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home