Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Let 'em Eat Bundt Cake!

I'll bet you didn't know that today is National Bundt Cake Day. Well, it is! Who knew there was even such a thing, but it seems Nordic Ware, the company that introduced the bundt pan back in 1950, has proclaimed it to be so. I happen to know this because I caught a bit of the Martha Stewart Show this morning and she was practically wetting herself over the fact. Well, you know I love me some Martha, so in honor of National Bundt Cake Day and Martha, I thought I'd post one of my favorite Bundt cake recipes.

My grandmother used to make this recipe and I remember it from when I was a little kid so it's at least 35 years old--probably more. Since it's a doctored up version of a boxed cake mix I imagine it first appeared in a ladies' home magazine or on the back of a box of Duncan Hines at one time. Anyway, it's delicious, easy to make and has been a staple in our family for years. Enjoy!

Sherry Cake
1 pkg. Deluxe yellow cake mix
1 pkg. Vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
1 cup sherry
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes on high speed. Pour into a greased bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes then invert on a cooling rack, remove pan and continue to cool completely. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve. This cake is particularly nice served with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream or the ice cream flavor of your choice.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're only 35? Why did I wait so long to start living?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I'm actually 38, but i don't recall this recipe before the age of 3.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger kevin said...

I have never heard of Bundt cake but it looks good. I'm no good at baking so i will have to look for it at the bakery sometime.

You're wearing the years well for 38!

Have a great day,
Kevin in New Zealand.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Sherry Cake! I can personally vouch for this tasty and moist(!) cake. I like this one almost as much as another family favorite: the Carolina Bastard Cake. I guess that's a post for another day ;-).

 
At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just saw tonight's episode of Ugly Betty where Wilhelmina called Martha Stewart. hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home