Friday, February 01, 2008

City Snapshot: The Spanish & Portuguese Jewish Cemetery

So I've been loving Glenn and Dave's weekly photo challenge. Each week they choose a topic or category and any blogger who cares to participate goes out and photographs their interpretation of it then posts it on his blog. So far the topics have included graffiti, barrooms, neighborhood grocers and today's which was breakfast. I love visiting the various blogs and seeing how people in different cities and environments handle the challenge. Unfortunately, I've been a little busy this month to participate, plus I don't have one of those credit card sized cameras I can just carry around with me all the time. But I happened to have mine with me yesterday and photographed what I would have posted for the week of January 18. The topic was cemeteries.

This is the Second Spanish and Portuguese Jewish Cemetery which is located just east of 6th Avenue on 11th Street in the Village. It's a tiny, triangular tract of land dating from 1805 tucked between a Georgian townhouse and what was once an old tenement facing 6th Avenue. These are the little gems that make strolling the side streets of New York truly fascinating. Enjoy.



Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Bigezbear said...

Nice going. Dave gets to pick next week's challenge. Should be interesting.

By the way, did you see the poster he designed for our next play? Awesome.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Yes, LOVED his poster, Glenn.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Bigezbear said...

Dave is remarkable - multi-talented, charismatic, caring and giving. He must be destroyed.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Well, if you love getting into themes with your photography, then you would love Flickr Groups on Flickr. I know that I do!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

I love cemeteries. We have some great oldies here dating with head stones dating back to the 1700s. My Dad is buried about 50 feet from Grandma Moses!

Have you ever done a rubbing? You place a large sheet of paper over a head stone and rub with art store charcoals and the image gets transferred to the paper. It's pretty neat.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Maddog said...

I love that cemetery. I've walked by it a million times. Your photos are great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home