Monday, August 06, 2007

The Grom Phenomenon


While I was in Italy I couldn't help but partake in a daily custom there: gelato. It's Italian ice cream, somehow better and creamier than American ice cream and Italians love to enjoy it around 4:00 PM. There are gelato stands everywhere, sometimes big fancy ice cream parlors, other times modest mom and pop groceries, but no matter where you go it's hard to find bad gelato in Italy.

Well, now, I can enjoy real, honest to goodness, Italian gelato in America. The Italian gelato chain, Grom, has opened it's very first American store right in my neighborhood on Broadway between 76th and 77th Streets. Shortly after it opened a couple months ago I noticed lines forming outside the store almost every day. And still, lines for the creamy goodness snake along the block toward 77th street almost every night.

What makes gelato different from American ice cream is that the formula is slightly different. For one thing it's made with milk, not cream, and in the case of Grom, they import all the ingredients from Italy. Whether the dairy is processed differently there or not, I'm not sure, but anyone who has ever had Italian gelato can tell you it's different than our ice cream. Of course all those imported ingredients will cost you--a small cup or cone at Grom starts at around $5.50. But judging from the lines coming from the store, it's worth every penny.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

The Today Show did a segment on Grom when they first opened. It all looked very delicious and decadent.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

Yum. Have an extra scoop for me!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I haven't really had gelato since I was in Italy. Ummm, 22 years ago ... :)

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger LSL said...

I'm so glad to know about this for my next trip to the City! I have great memories of daily gelato in Italy from my trips there.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger M. Knoester said...

My best friend, despite having lived in the Netherlands for ten years now, is hard pressed to say anything positive about my country. However he does love our milk.

American dairy products are treated differently and, I can confirm, not to their credit.

Enjoy the gelati!

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well damn, another reason to head to NYC. or italy :-) sounds luscious.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

my favorite flavor is cinnamon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home