Thursday, July 26, 2007

Loved It!

Last night I finally got to see the Broadway production of Grey Gardens. I had to rush to make arrangements to see it before it closes this weekend. After seeing it I am baffled as to why it is closing so early. I knew it would be good, the buzz since its opening has been mostly positive, but I was not expecting it to be one of the smartest, well crafted musicals to hit a Broadway stage in years. Having been familiar with the Maysle's documentary on the Beale's of Grey Gardens, I was amazed at how carefully and accurately the musical's creators, composer Scott Frankel, lyricist Michael Korie and book writer Doug Wright, set up the complex and dysfunctional relationships of "Big" and "Little" Edie Bouvier Beale and the men in their lives in the first act which of course all leads up to the pay-off in the second act where we find the two Edies have become eccentric old cat ladies unable to leave the decaying Grey Gardens out of fear, responsibility and poor health.

When one watches the Maysle's documentary film on which the second act is based, there is an intangible feeling created, vary from amusement to pity. There is something hypnotic about these two "staunch" characters and their bizarre world of Grey Gardens that keeps one enthralled. The show's creators managed to capture this very same feeling--and set it to music. The performances of the two leading ladies, Mary Louise Wilson and particularly Christine Embersole, are sure to become legendary. The dramatic meat of the show is spellbinding and the two women have the audience in the palm of their hands as they lead us along the roller coaster ride of their relationship as mother and daughter. I could go on and gush about the show all night if I could, but instead, I'll let the Flaming Curmudgeon do it for me. Here is his review of Grey Gardens after seeing it last January. Enjoy.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger David said...

I can't wait for this to open i London

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

I've heard good things about it...glad you were able to get there

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger TCho said...

one of these days, I'd like to go to the theatre with you since you know so much. :-)

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger judy said...

Let me contribute to the gushing... Grey Gardens is one of the best pieces of theater I've seen in a decade. I must admit that when I heard they were making a musical based on the documentary, I was flabbergasted. I couldn't imagine how they were going to make it a palatable, broad appeal Broadway show. With a witty and charming first act, brilliant musical score, and tony winning performances, that's how.

I'm sick that it 1)failed to win the Tony for best musical and 2) that it is closing so soon. It is a great loss. So glad you got to see it.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Red Seven said...

I'm jealous, and I hate you.

(But I mean it in a nice way.)

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Jerry loves my corn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home