Saturday, July 07, 2007

Poor Jud Is Dead



I regret to inform you that my hard drive was pronounced dead last night at 8:41 PM by an Eastern mystic in India who works for Dell Technical support. My hard drive had a near death experience back in February, but thanks to another Eastern mystic who performed an extraordinary feat, what amounted to the equivalent of a Hail Mary pass, my hard drive was saved and we were blessed with another four months together.

Another blessing that came out of the February experience was the lesson I leared in backing my hard drive. Once my computer was revived I ran out and bought an external hard drive, backed everything up for the first time in my life and copied all my photos to CD. I stand to lose very little this time around and not anything of great importance. Thank God.

Replacing my hard drive apparently is a very simple and inexpensive procedure. So I ordered a new one from Dell. In fact, it's 10 GBs bigger than my old one but is still the smallest one they make. The most upsetting thing about this entire experience though, is that it's going to take Dell a week to ship the new hard drive and should arrive around the 16th. So I will be without a computer for 10 days. 10 DAYS! Why don't they just cut off my right arm while they're at it? I let the sales department at Dell know in no uncertain terms that in this age of overnight shipping having to wait 10 days for an item that is in stock is unacceptable. They may just lose my business to Circuit City. We'll see. I'm still in shock from the loss.

There will be a small memorial service once the old hard drive is removed. In lieu of flowers please send donations for a new computer.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ten days...ooh that is horrible! i have a dell notebook too! and i have never backed up my hard drive. *gulp*

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Joey P said...

at least it has a "cool" date of death: 7/7/07.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

My condolences on the unfortunate demise of your laptop. However, I hear they do respond well to "organ" donors. Good luck!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Sorry to read about your Dell. Ten days to get the hard drive does seem a bit slow. It must be coming from India (where all our tech. support jobs are now).

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

Could you have paid for expedited shipping? Not that it would be the correct thing on their part, but it might be worth it on your part.

I lost computer access last week when the power went out for 24 hours after a storm. I thought I was going to have an aneurism. Ten days I'm not sure what I'd do!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Bigezbear said...

Your first day alone will be hell. Your second day will bring a sense of calm which will increase with each passing day. By the 10th day, you will realize you have no need for such an obstruction to your higher plane.

But then, of course, the pendulum will start to swing the other way once you get yourself reinstalled.

So never mind.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Gavin, yes, I did offer to pay for expidited shipping, they don't offer that service but said they would put a "rush" on the order, but still couldn't not guarantee that it would get to me any sooner than 10 days. I don't get it.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger David said...

I Condole you !

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Curtis said...

My condolences as well. Where do I send the casserole?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home