Wednesday, May 02, 2007

City of Strangers

One of the things people both love and hate about a city like New York is the anonymity of its inhabitants. But once in while a phenomenon occurs where you run into old friends, acquaintances or people you "used to know." I've written about this before and for some reason these meetings always seem to happen in bunches.

Yesterday I passed a guy on the street whose social circles sometimes overlapped with mine. I knew him slightly and he was always nice enough. But I only remembered who he was after I had already rounded the corner and he was probably gone. But then on my way home there he was on the subway platform. After that awkward moment of recognition we exchanged pleasantries and then caught different trains. Then this morning on my roughly four block walk from my house to the subway I ran into two old friends from college. Two in ten minutes. What are the odds?

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Red Seven said...

Did you check your horoscope?

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger David said...

all I can say is Strange Phenomena by Kate Bush!
Om mani padme hum.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Little, but beautiful post! I really believe in coincidences and miracles. They do happen. I hope that I too bump into my old friends! Pray for me.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

It has been weird since I moved back to my home town. I was at the grocery store the other day and I was running into people that I know left and right. Friends in the aisles, kids of friends working the registers. It made me feel good. Quite a difference from the anonymity of southern California.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Diane said...

The last time you posted about this, you had just decided to go back to school. You saw it as maybe an affirmation from the universe that you were headed down the right path. I think it's definitely telling that two of the people you saw this time were from college. If that isn't a little nudge saying "yes, it didn't work this time, but school is the right answer" I don't know what is.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Well, NYC is the "crossroads of the world", after all. :)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger BigAssBelle said...

it is strange how these things seem to happen in batches. i was standing in the hardware store and looked up to see a former coworker from years ago standing right next to me.

last night i walked into a restaurant and found that my party of 10 was seated next to two former coworkers i've not seen since i escaped social work.

weird stuff.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger TCho said...

oh yeah. happens to me all the time. very awkward.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home