Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ding-Dong, The Witch Is Dead!


I regret to report that homophobia is not restricted to just men's basketball but has reared its ugly head at the women's college level as well. Penn State women's basketball coach Rene Portland (pictured here looking cranky in a strand of pearls) announced her resignation Wednesday night after a 27 year career and a record of 606-236 amid allegations that she discriminated against lesbian players.

She was fined $10,000 for violating Penn State's anti-discrimination policy last year following complaints from a team member perceived to be gay who said Portland has a "no lesbians" policy. The player suffered much humiliation and was berated for not appearing feminine enough. In addition to being fined, Portland was ordered to take professional development courses "devoted to diversity and inclusiveness."

The news of Portland's homophobia sparked an on-campus demonstration during which students demanded she be fired. One protester stated "The Rene Portland case is about hate and discrimination. We have to speak out." Thank God for the next generation!

When you think about it, a women's basketball team without any lesbian players is like a Broadway musical without any gay chorus boys. Sure, it can be done but the show is gonna suck. That probably explains why Portland's record was 15-16 and 13-16 during her last two seasons at Penn State.

Begone, Portland, before somebody drops a house on you!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Gavin said...

Lesbianless basketball. I think she's going to start selling snowballs to eskimos next.

BTW, I've been trying the mybloglog. I kept my old statcounter in place to see how they worked together. mybloglog is much easier to read, but statcounter finds a lot more hits that don't show up on mybloglog. Not sure what's going on. Thought I'd let you know...maybe your getting more hits than you think!

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger kevin said...

I cant believe that lesbian netball players are discriminated against. Shame on the coach!

Kev in NZ

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Bigezbear said...

While down here at LSU, they get rid of one for being a lesbo. I get confused.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this Mike - it always amazed me this woman was able to keep her job for so long when it was well know she openly discriminated against lesbians. I can remember being at a Final Four and all the lesbians in the crowd- which as you can imagine were quite a lot, were rooting against Penn State because of this witch. Good riddance to her - Penn State should have fired her and not allowed her to resign. Now she can face her true identity and get a girlfriend

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

I'm sorry....I'm a bit confused...you mean to say that straight women play basketball??

Sorry, sorry....I just couldn't resist! :D

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Drew said...

I always thought that Rene was a case of "methinks she dost protest too much."

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger TCho said...

And I just don't like Penn State because I keep getting confused for a Penn State alum as opposed to Penn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home