Sunday, February 25, 2007

An Audition Haiku

Yesterday morning
My first grad school audition
nerves, sour stomach

It's freezing outside
I board the Number 1 train
running monologues

The school in question?
Let's call it "Prestigious U."
But I'm not impressed

Been to see their shows;
Their church basement theatrics
Last choice school for sure

Sign in at the desk
Moody actor types in black
I wore a sport coat

I feel old but sure
I am a professional
Resume says so

A matronly type
leads us all in a warm-up
Voice and some movement

I audition third
Macbeth, Act One, Scene Seven
Can't find my technique

no response, next up
is my contemporary
It's not there today

They request a song
Finally something I nail
That's easy for me

More waiting around
Then comes the movement portion
Simple-no big whoop

We are free to go
Take a card, call this number
for the callback list

I leave and call Scott
"I'm coming over right now."
Feeling so unsure

He's waiting for me
I hug him and don't let go
Tell him how it went

After six I call
Listening to hear my name
I'm not on the list

I've been rejected
Shocked and not surprised at once
Still, it really hurts

I have plans later
I email Joe and cancel
Don't wanna go out

With Scott I feel safe
But how do I face next week
And more auditions?

So I suck it up
I didn't want to go there
Tell myself "go on

You are good enough,
Smart enough and gosh darn it,
Some people like you."

Make jokes, ease the pain
I know I am talented
I will find my way.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Spider said...

You ARE talented, you ARE good at what you do and you WILL find your way... and as for Scott - he sounds like a wonderful person - hang on to him and don't let go...

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger LSL said...

I'm so sorry about this, and I appreciate your poem so much. (And you are completely talented to be able to Haiku that experience!) You're clearly sharp and articulate and probably way too good for that place. I'm sorry for the disappointment. It's hard. But I'm very glad that you wrote about it.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

Sorry to hear things didn't work out. We've all been there and it sucks. Chin up, big smile, and be comforted that you have a nice pair of arms to fall into!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Max and Me said...

yes you keep going! i love how you expressed all this in poetry...i was feeling it. please don't give up.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

awwww, I'm sorry bud. Don't let it keep you from pushing forward :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home