Friday, October 13, 2006

Stockholm, Sweden

I realize I've been skipping back and forth across the Atlantic a lot lately with these posts. This is the penultimate travelogue email in the series I sent home during my employment over the summer on the Seven Seas Voyager which was the original inspiration for this blog.

I loved Stockholm. It was the very last city I visited and knowing I'd be flying back to New York the next day, I took advantage Sweden's extra long summer daylight to see as much of it as I could.

Wherever you are in Stockholm, you're never far from water. It is a graceful and civilized city situated on a series of islands where Lake Malarin meets the sea. Stockholm is a lively, energetic city where athletic Swedes can be seen strolling, jogging, blading or biking everywhere in the city at any time of day or night. There are parks, soccer fields, bike paths and hiking trails throughout town and along the many rivers and canals. Unfortunately I only had a little time to snap some pictures but fell instantly in love with Stockholm. It's definitely on my list of places to revisit.

The photos below are: A view across a canal of Norstedts (a popular department store), The opera house where Gustav III was assassinated in 1792 (an event which later inspired a Verdi opera), some Swedish kids playing soccer in a square on Gamla Stan Island where the old town is located, The Baroque facade of the Royal Palace which conceals part of the original medieval castle built here, A panoramic view of the city center, Another view of the Royal Palace which boasts one more room than Buckingham Palace. (The royal family only uses this palace for state affairs and has their official residence at Drottingholm Palace, a much smaller and warmer building.)

Enjoy. xo M





Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I was wondering how you did so much traveling...Thanks for clearing it up, cause my imagination was runining wild.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home